Monday 29 August 2011

The Power of Yes

The Power of Yes is this week's new discovery in Small Boy Land. It's a little thing, but it makes me smile greatly. Within a few days the answer to "Would you like a sandwich?" has gone from


"Like a sandwich


to


"Yes, like a sandwich"


to just


"YES!"


He pronounces it with great relish, and is clearly very impressed with his new discovery. It's versatile! It's efficient! It decreases the number of words he has to produce to get his message across! Win - win - win.


Inconveniently, however, it does come at just the time when I'd realised I could use his echolalia to promote good manners. I was formerly having some success in prompting "Like a sandwich please mumma?". Now that conversation is going something like this:


"Sandwich!"


"Sandwich please mumma?".


"YES!"


Small price to pay. With that big grin on his face, how could I deny him?

No comments:

Post a Comment